Friday, July 19, 2013

Carry on, Comic Con: the recap of Cons past.

One of the first posts I put up on this blog was all about Comic Con.

And truth be told about this event, I am spoiled rotten by it. I've gone almost every year consecutively since middle school, and the sadder truth is I didn't even know it existed beforehand!

I confess! While my fellow fans are aggressively crying themselves into comas over missing the event, my best friend's hookup with Jesus got a ton of us in for free, and my 1st generation American ass didn't even know such congragations happened at all!

This year, I'm blessed with a trip on Sunday, where, with any luck, we'll weasel our way into the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary and possibly the signing. Also, buying cool stuff (because hint hint: prices go down dramatically on the last day). And if so, I promise you all the goodies I can catch on me phone and the like!

For today, though, I thought I'd go through some basic tips for Con-Goers while digging through my old memories. And since seven is the number of heaven, I've got seven tips for you:

1: You're going to want to volunteer.
If it's been said once, it's been said 1,000 times, you cannot easily get tickets to comic con. They sell out in seconds (and then the local news makes an announcement over how it's broken a new record or how the site's crashed despite the updates done to SDCC's webpage).
Volunteer work's much easier! The day's yours after helping out some!
If you can't do that, people sell their tickets at the door for some cash at times. Don't go buying tickets on e-bay! They'll suck your soul out with evil!

2: Always know the panels beforehand!
These are the beauties for TV. Links below
The year before I got into Doctor Who, San Diego managed to royally piss off Who-Con by having every actor who lives that had played the Doctor under the same roof for fun. Not even Matt Smith when to Who-Con that year.
We also missed out on the chance to meet Studio Ghibi's Hayao Myazaki. We did not know these panels happened until our English teacher told us later.

3: Comfort is key
Do yourself the best favor of your life: bring comfortable shoes! And water, because Con-Food is expensive.
         Tip 2.5--there's a Subway nearby the Convention Center. Go there and get yourself a five dollar                  footlong! You do not want to spend precious con-money on food, less you're like me and end up                  eating sliders and a drink to pull through the day!

4: Keep yourself moving
You'll quickly find the strain of bodies to be a bit much, since the Con is always crowded. Security's also not going to let you lean on the walls (refer to rule two to fix the swollen foot problem). The things they put in front of you are tantilizingly beautiful, but you're going to have to be swift and a bit persitsant to see them at all--I had the honor of seeing all the Iron Man suits before the crowds got too thick (though I did not get to see RDJ. He was there a day later!).

5: Be nice to folks!
Most people at the con I've ever had the pleasure of talking to are great! Lots are shy, many are flamboyant, and some are even flirty, but none are rude or disappointing! Remember to be kind to everyone around you, and the conversations can be the bomb.

6: Celebrities.
I am yet to meet one. I don't think I ever will, but whatever! It doesn't mater, I can still dream! Still, you're basic humane rules apply: be nice, don't grab onto them, try not to squeal until they leave. For the love of Christ try not to be weird. My biggest fear is being weird in front of them!*

7: Cosplays
for the cosplayer:
  1. Please be nice to those trying to get photos.
  2. Bonus points for never breaking your character.
  3. PLEASE try and be comfortable, darling.


For the fans:
  1. Please be nice when trying to get a photo!
  2. Don't make fun of the goddamn costumes! A fabulous man in a moustache and catwoman suit is totally the shit, and you're wrong in you don't see it.
  3. Don't shame people for their body-types and cosplay choices! They're beautiful!
And that's Nicky's Con-Goer's guide! Enjoy your ride, if you're lucky enough to go!

I'll be there soon, my lovely Comic Con. Wait for me, dearest.

With Love,
Nikola Strange
-------------------------(> w <)----------------
Notes:
* Holy Jesus take the wheel!
       Dream finds:
  1. Matt Smith
  2. Chris Evans
  3. Tom Hiddleston
  4. Chris Hemsworth
  5. Zachary Quinto
  6. Stan Lee (I will go to his after-party one year!)
  7. Kieron Gillen
  8. A number of others
I fucking LOVE Comic Con!! I seriously cannot wait until I can finally go back and see my love!

Links for panels and the like:
TV show schedule
Top Five movies
basic rule--if the show/movie is really popular, it's probably in Hall H or Ballroom 20

No comments:

Post a Comment