Monday, June 17, 2013

Job Hunt: What's the worst they can do?

It was my first job interview ever, and it was going to be at SeaWorld.

My older sister set up the application for me, told me it'd be at 11, and we never spoke about it again.

The day came, as days always come, that the interview would take place, and strangely enough I wasn't nervous! I lingered around in my living room, dolled up with makeup, without a care in the world, spare the uncomfortable pain my new flats were giving me.

It wasn't until my sister turned the key in the ignition that the world closed in on me. It all became very real.

Despite my fears, I'd go into a tiny little cubical to be judged by a person and see if they deemed me worthy of employment.

And in retrospect, that last sentence is massively anticlimactic.

I was signed up for that job interview a few days after watching Emma Blackery's "Feel good 101" episode over jobs and job interviews, and the words "it's just a job" rung with me in the weeks leading up to the "dreaded interview". With some deep breathing on the way there, I started to believe it.

All the words of every adult who's ever had my best interest at heart rung in my head at that moment: "What's the worst they could do?"

I got to the interview, and smiled at the nice woman who was to interview me. Tisha was her name. I talked to her about what I'd do, and answered all of her questions as best as I could, and I shook her hand goodbye before leaving.

My sister told me I sounded confident, and she grinded me on all the information I could muster after the interview was over, on our way home, as I scraped some gum off my pants.

And I didn't know why people were excited, since I just answered honestly and tried to make some sound bites so the lady would remember me well.

And there I sat, pretending to be just as excited, trying to scrape the gum off my bag.

Family called, and congratulated me on my accomplishment--I was one step closer to finally becoming an adult! And I thank them, wondering where the hell all this gum was coming from.

We went shopping all 'round town, and finally got over my damn interview completely. Like my dad said, "It's not like they're going to kill you if you don't get the job!"

It wasn't until I got home that I realized the back of my shirt had a massive blue gum stuck to the back! And that I spread that blue gum onto my mother's car upholstery (thank god she has a trick for that), and probably onto Tisha's chair.

And if they didn't kill me for that, what was the worst thing they could do?

With love,
Nikola Strange.
-------------------------------(~ w ~)--------------
Notes:

I didn't get the job, but who cares! I'm still breathing! :DD

Hiya! I'm Nick. It's been a pleasure writing my thoughts out for you!
If you enjoyed what you read, you can find me on YouTube under the same name, and on Facebook on a page called "The Lives and Times of Young Adult Things."
Thanks for your time, and I hope you enjoyed this! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment