Saturday, August 24, 2013

We're impressive?!

With the first week of college gone and out of the way, I've got some time to catch up and think about my life choices.

I didn't manage to roll into San Francisco like I hoped. In fact, I ended up breaking the very vow I made to myself as a kid: I'd leave my home town right after graduation.

Nope. I'm still right here. Still living at home. Still doing the same old things.

And frankly, I don't think I mind much.

Spare the fact I feel like a bit of a loser for never leaving, I'm doing well here. Community college is a good environment for someone unaccustomed to being alone for long periods of time, or being able to make your own decisions.

Walking around campus, leaving campus, buying lunch, scheduling myself around my own time--it's all new and fresh and exciting.

Strangely enough, despite my less-than-stellar attitude towards having to sign into a community college the first week, I found out my school's much better than Greendale. It's clean, orderly, lively, large and vibrant!

While waiting around early in the morning for the ID booth to open (and all together not being in the mood for a conversation at 8 in the morning), I picked up the school magazine/newspaper thing. Blame the cover full of slightly funny looking heroes on a plane blue background. Once I picked it up, the name printed in small blue text intrigued me the most.

Turns out my college produced some great alumni.

Film students in the North Pole, graduates in the West Wing, and Somali refugees playing basketball were all displayed in the nation's #1 student newspaper only made my original want of the paper a bit petty, but it was my reasoning all the same.

Seeing the many successes of students in fields which beg respect was mostly impressive! And then it got depressing.

I'm an "artist". I'm probably bound to be a starving one, or just a poor as hell one.

But the guy on the cover? He's a writer! He's a stubborn, tenacious writer, famous for pioneering some serious shit: twilight zone, Babylon 5, mainstream conics--he wrote my favorite Superman book, too. Earth one, the inspiration for the new movie, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, you nerds. J. Michael Straczynski went to my community college!

Like Straczynski once said, "College is where you can experiment to your heart's content and not get killed."

So enjoy the ride.

With love,
Nikola Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment